The autumn-winter period is when children are prone to getting sick the most, so it is essential to strengthen their immune system then. We can do this using herbs or plants that gently modulate the immune system and improve its efficiency.
Adequate nutrition is essential for maintaining the proper immunity of the youngest, and an adequately composed diet supports it in the long term. The diet should provide polyunsaturated fatty acids from the omega-3 group. Their natural source is oily sea fish and vegetable fats such as linseed oil, rapeseed oil, and olive oil. Iron is an equally important ingredient as it supports the development of the immune system. Its primary sources are meat, fish, eggs, legume seeds, and green leafy vegetables that are best eaten with foods rich in vitamin C because it increases iron absorption. The sources of Vitamin C are red pepper, black currant, citrus, and parsley. A supply of vitamin A in the child’s diet is also vital for their health. We find it mainly in vegetables, including sweet potatoes, carrots, spinach, broccoli, pumpkins, and tomatoes.
In order to strengthen the immune system, it is worth diversifying the daily diet with vegetables seasoned with aromatic ginger, cinnamon and turmeric. Instead of a chocolate bar, put natural yogurt, an apple, a handful of nuts, and a cocktail of green vegetables in the lunchbox. The most valuable ingredients are hidden in vegetables such as pepper, eggplant, zucchini, or beetroot, as well as lettuces such as kale and spinach, which can be prepared in many different ways.
The immune system is an extremely important function in the human body because it is the first line of defense against the attack of microorganisms (viruses, bacteria, fungi). The vast majority of immune system cells are found in the digestive tract. It develops during the prenatal period, and its intensive development falls on the first 1000 days of a child’s life. However, it does not function as efficiently as an adult’s immunity. This process can take until a child is 15 years old. Herbs have been used for many years because of their healing properties. The substances beneficial to health are obtained from various plants – roots, stems, flowers, and leaves.
– Garlic – is a product rich in many biologically active substances. Allicin, responsible for a broad spectrum of antibacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal activity, is particularly important. Garlic strengthens the body’s defenses by regulating the cellular reactions of the immune system.
– Parsley – a very rich source of vitamin C. It has a diuretic effect, which helps to get rid of microorganisms.
– Common onion – is one of the oldest and most famous vegetables in the world. It contains many organosulfur substances that have a germicide effect. Besides, the onions increase the release and purification of mucus from the upper respiratory tract.
– Black cumin – is a herbaceous plant belonging to the buttercup family. Its seeds are used in upper respiratory tract diseases (colds, coughs, catarrh, bronchitis, recurrent infections). The compounds present in the plant strengthen the immune system, stimulating the number of lymphocytes and macrophages.
– Ginger – has warming properties. The extracts may have a beneficial effect in the treatment of chronic inflammations and autoimmune diseases.
– Black elderberry – flowers and fruits have antiviral and immunomodulatory properties. The extract has an antipyretic effect.
A child’s immunity develops gradually, and this process can be effectively supported using natural methods. A balanced diet, supplemented with substances of plant origin, plays an important role in building it. A properly-composed child’s diet can strengthen the body, and in the event of a disease, shorten its duration and facilitate recovery.
You liked this article? Share it
Are you thinking about an indoor garden in a healthy and innovative hydroponic cultivation?
Check out 10 reasons why you will love Verdeat
Always fresh, always tasty
your plants are ready to pick and enrich the taste of your dishes
Verdeat looks after your plants by providing them with sufficient light and water
simple to use, it gives you the joy and happiness of growing your own plants
beautiful light and green plants catch the eye
with Verdeat you don't throw away rotten leafy vegetables and herbs!
Verdeat uses only as much water and energy as the plants need
together with Verdeat, you see nature waking up every day and discover its magical world
light similar to the natural one soothes the senses and improves mood
the Verdeat App allows you to determine from anywhere when Verdeat should run
Inspiration for new flavours
with Verdeat, you grow plants that you may not find in your local store!